8285Re: [Hammock Camping] 1" webbing and D-rings

  • Jeremy
    Feb 20, 2005
      It should be noted as well that whether you use nylon or polypropylene is more important
      depending on which type of hammock suspension system you use. A hennessy style
      suspension, with a very small amount of webbing (just the tree huggers), uses nylon
      webbing, and with no noticable ill effects. Using webbing for the entire suspension
      system, however, a la Speer, magnifies those unnoticable ill effects into a true problem.
      Additionally, Hennessy's are typically hung higher (because of a bottom entry/exit) than
      Speer hammocks (side entry/exit), further exacerbating the problem for Speer users, who
      would use nylon webbing.

      > I missed this one-thanks for the question Jeff and your response Rick. I'd
      > like to expand a bit on Jeff's question and address a few other concerns of
      > probable interest to the hammock maker. Although comparing the same width
      > of webbing, there are still wildly differing features to consider. Most
      > 1-inch wide single layer webbing comes in 'Heavy Weave', Stiff Weave', 'Soft
      > Weave, etc. These all have different breaking strengths and different
      > stretch characteristics. Unfortunately most sales clerks in retail stores
      > that sell webbing don't know the breaking strength of the webbing offered;
      > even many manufacturers don't list the breaking strength on the package. If
      > the breaking strength is not listed on the manufacturer's package, it's
      > probably 350 or less!-buyer be ware and do NOT use any webbing with unknown
      > breaking strength. Use only +600 pound breaking strength webbing-I
      > recommend, use and sell +750 pound. For folks over 250 pounds, I recommend
      > +1,000 pound breaking strength-this generally requires 1.5" wide single
      > layer webbing.
      > Now let's consider different webbing material:
      > Nylon and polypropylene webbing all stretch and nylon is stronger, but it
      > stretches differently than polypropylene. For hammocks the high-memory
      > stretch of nylon is unsuitable since it returns to its original length every
      > time the load is removed. It can be impossible to properly adjust the
      > hammock-the hammock is pulled tight, but your butt hits the ground when you
      > get in; you get out to adjust and the hammock springs back to its tight
      > position! The low-memory stretch of polypropylene is desirable since it
      > retains its length when the load is removed-thus allowing the hammock to
      > remain adjusted once the straps are stretched out the first time. This may
      > not make much sense in writing, but the differences become readily evident
      > in actual use! Again I recommend, use and sell polypropylene webbing.
      > Polyester webbing is a good choice, but it's near impossible to buy in small
      > amounts for reasonable money. Polyester webbing hardly stretches at all and
      > is stronger than polypropylene (but not as strong as nylon). It is made by
      > special order only, meaning 20,000 yds at a time-once I found 200 yds for
      > sell as overruns, but don't have any left.
      > Also, it is virtually impossible for me to visibly distinguish between
      > nylon, polypropylene or polyester webbing-again buyer be ware and insist on
      > seeing the manufactures packaging.
      > My book goes into a bit more explanation about suitable webbing, but this is
      > the gist of it.
      > Hope this helps Jeff. Happy hammocking..Ed
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic