8284RE: [Hammock Camping] 1" webbing and D-rings

    Feb 20, 2005

      I missed this one—thanks for the question Jeff and your response Rick.  I’d like to expand a bit on Jeff’s question and address a few other concerns of probable interest to the hammock maker.  Although comparing the same width of webbing, there are still wildly differing features to consider.  Most 1-inch wide single layer webbing comes in ‘Heavy Weave’, Stiff Weave’, ‘Soft Weave, etc.  These all have different breaking strengths and different stretch characteristics.  Unfortunately most sales clerks in retail stores that sell webbing don’t know the breaking strength of the webbing offered; even many manufacturers don’t list the breaking strength on the package.  If the breaking strength is not listed on the manufacturer’s package, it’s probably 350 or less!—buyer be ware and do NOT use any webbing with unknown breaking strength.  Use only +600 pound breaking strength webbing—I recommend, use and sell +750 pound.  For folks over 250 pounds, I recommend +1,000 pound breaking strength—this generally requires 1.5” wide single layer webbing.

      Now let’s consider different webbing material:

      Nylon and polypropylene webbing all stretch and nylon is stronger, but it stretches differently than polypropylene.  For hammocks the high-memory stretch of nylon is unsuitable since it returns to its original length every time the load is removed.  It can be impossible to properly adjust the hammock—the hammock is pulled tight, but your butt hits the ground when you get in; you get out to adjust and the hammock springs back to its tight position!  The low-memory stretch of polypropylene is desirable since it retains its length when the load is removed—thus allowing the hammock to remain adjusted once the straps are stretched out the first time.  This may not make much sense in writing, but the differences become readily evident in actual use!  Again I recommend, use and sell polypropylene webbing.

      Polyester webbing is a good choice, but it’s near impossible to buy in small amounts for reasonable money.  Polyester webbing hardly stretches at all and is stronger than polypropylene (but not as strong as nylon).  It is made by special order only, meaning 20,000 yds at a time—once I found 200 yds for sell as overruns, but don’t have any left.

      Also, it is virtually impossible for me to visibly distinguish between nylon, polypropylene or polyester webbing—again buyer be ware and insist on seeing the manufactures packaging.

      My book goes into a bit more explanation about suitable webbing, but this is the gist of it.

      Hope this helps Jeff.  Happy hammocking….Ed