8132RE: [Hammock Camping] Second Night

    Feb 3, 2005

      JD, I’ve been eagerly following your progress with your new hammock.  Thanks for keeping us all informed.  Of course, I will have some demo and some sale items with me at Hot Springs .  I’m looking forward to discussing your experiences in person.  BTY, you’re doing fine—building confidence slowly and safely via trial & error will soon make you a veteran hammocker capable of handling anything nature throws at you!  ….Ed

      From: J.D. Hoessle [mailto:JD@...]
      Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2005 7:25 AM
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Hammock Camping] Second Night

      Good Morning!

      First, Rick Said:
      >You might want to take a look at my overlap pad, It keeps knees and
      >shoulders much warmer than any other method I have found short of the
      >WarmHammock.

      Thanks for the feedback!  Used that idea last night!

      As mentioned, my first-ever night out, I used a 3/4 UL Thermarest AND
      a full length CC blue foam pad in the "sleeve" / double bottom.  That
      worked except when I shifted and discovered the dreaded "Cold Spots".

      Last night, temp hovered right at 32 F - WHAT A DIFFERENCE 10 DEGREES
      MAKES...!!!  I was HOT...!!!  Zipped and unzipped my 5 degree bag a
      dozen times.  ***NOW*** I understand why everyone raves about a
      QUILT...!  No, I am not about to try THAT sewing adventure just yet,
      Thank you very much...<g>...  Perhaps Mr. Speer would be kind enough
      to have one of his quilts for sale in Hot Springs ? -<Hint! Hint!>-

      Comfort:  I am not quite there yet.  Slept soundly for 4 hours; but,
      woke up with back & legs aching a bit again.

      Per suggestions here (THANK YOU ALL!), I had a third blue foam
      "sit-pad" directly under my bag at 90 degrees.  Length of blue foam
      was too long at 36 inches; but, that did allow me to twist & turn onto
      my side now and then.

      Mr. Garlington was kind to point out that I may have it strung too
      taut.  Have not had time to build a stand nor do I have optimally
      placed trees out back and I am too old to wait for new trees to grow.
      For whomever suggested it: "Yes, I had to reinforce the storage
      shed...<g>..."

      But, I believe that I now understand the "sleeping slightly diagonal"
      and "sweet spot" that you all mention.  I believe that rigging a stand
      and futzing with the "sag" will allow me to sleep thru the night.

      Rick also mentions having my head LOWER than my feet....  OK, I will
      try that too.

      Rain & sleet expected today.  No tarp yet; so, I will have to cut thru
      my Gordian Knots and wait another day or two...

      Thanks!

      Happy Trails,

      J.D.

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic