8113Result of my first adventure with the ZHammock

  • J.D. Hoessle
    Feb 2, 2005
      Happy Ground Hog Day!

      Results from my first ZHammock adventure:

      9:30 PM - 02/01/05 - Temp 24 F - No wind - Clear sky

      Had set up my home made ZHammock in back yard earlier. Did not have
      tarp or other cover - the ZHammock was frost-encrusted when I went
      out. Not a major problem.

      Had 3/4 UL Thermarest and full sized CC blue foam pad in sleeve.
      Arranged 5 degree sleeping bag in ZHammock unzipped except for bottom
      foot area. Sat down and rather easily got the bag zipped around me.

      Clothes: poly top & bottoms plus fleece top & bottoms, fleece sox plus
      wool sox, fleece balaclava.

      5 - 10 minutes of fidgeting around - Quickly learned what everyone
      means in regards to "cold spots" and solved that by getting my bag all
      around me.

      I can fall asleep most any time & place; so, I was asleep very soon.
      Warm & Comfortable.

      About 11:45 PM, I woke up because my legs were aching. Found that it
      is necessary to sleep on my back - otherwise, my butt or back or
      knees/legs were in contact with the sides and no pad to prevent very
      cold spots. Tried to curl up a bit (fetal position); but, again - very
      cold spots.
      Could not stretch out... Hard to describe; but: On my back, my heels
      were solidly against bottom which forced my legs straight - kinda
      "locking" my knees. Turning ever so slightly one way or the other put
      me into contact with sides and the cold. Altho' warm, my lower back
      was cramped a bit from sleeping on my back - the "U" shape of
      hanging...? Unable to lie on my side and stay warm.

      Attempted many positions to relieve slight pain in legs & back to no
      avail. After 15-20 minutes had to give up and go inside. A few
      minutes of stretching while standing and my back & legs were fine.
      Still had some soreness in my legs at 5:00 AM, as if I had been on a
      log uphill climb.

      Low Temp last night was 18 F per my bulb-type min-max thermometer -
      Got over three hours of uninterrupted sleep.

      Conclusions: No problem keeping warm. *MUST* be on my back. Cannot
      lie on my side nor curl up. Should cover hammock BEFORE the frost
      gets to it!

      Guessing here: Maybe the length is too short...? I am under 6 feet
      tall now and shrinking...<age thing>...<g>... Rick's instructions
      mentions that he is 6 feet; so, it should be long enough. I am
      wondering if my inability to stretch out or curl up a leg is because I
      need more length...?

      Thanks!

      Happy Trails,

      J.D.