      From: gregg [mailto:gspoerin@...]
      Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2005 10:37 PM
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Hammock Camping] Klondike

      This past weekend, My son's troop went on the district Klondike Camporee. Now as a bit of background, since I have gotten into hammocks, the kids have been used to seeing me or my son in any number of different hammocks, from a Hennessy to homemade Speers to various lightweight double bottom hammocks ala Rick.
      Several other troop members, both adults and kids have bought or made hammocks after seeing ours.
      However....
      I was surprised to have one of the boys come up to me with a Hennessy, a big smile on his face, saying it was a Christmas present. "I'm gonna sleep in it tonight!" He said.
      Now we were standing in about a foot of snow, temps were hovering about 23* and it was just beginning to drop for the night. I started in with my best leader speech about how cold weather hammocking is a different animal altogether, how the air under the hammock would chill him much more than sleeping on the snow with a pad, and maybe it would be best to try the hammock out in the spring.
      He smiled and said for me not to worry, he had a pad, and was ready for the cold.
      I again gave my speech, this time emphasizing the relative inefficiency of a single pad at temps under 20 without additional measures. He was undaunted. "Look at my pad", he said.
      This kid had brought a pad that was gargantuan by hammock standards- about 4" thick, maybe 25x 72", with a cloth cover on it. It was a pad from his patio furniture.
      I relented, and told him to go for it.
      A minute later he discovered that he had forgotten his tree huggers........
      Gregg
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic