792Re: Hammock Camping Newbie to the group No. 2 for the day

  • geoflyfisher <geoflyfisher@yahoo.com>
    Mar 4, 2003
      Hi dave,

      Take a look at this page in Hammock Wiki:

      http://www.flyfisher-kayaks.com/cgi-bin/hwiki.pl?Building_A_Hammock

      and this page too:

      http://www.flyfisher-kayaks.com/cgi-bin/hwiki.pl?Material_Lists

      Like Bear said, the Ed Speer Book is a great resource for building
      the hammock.

      Flyfisher <><

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, robi dawson <beanco@m...>
      wrote:
      > Dave:
      >
      > Cool, thanks for swift reply!
      >
      > I am not very interested in buying anything already made. Numerous
      > reasons,one being I have little to no spare money.
      >
      > But more importantly I very much enjoy producing my own things. I
      have a
      > winter hat, hand woven by my son when he was 9. To most it is
      extremely
      > ugly, the colors do not match, the quality of the knitting, is
      well, what
      > you would expect of a 9 year old. But it was hand made for me and I
      wear it
      > with pride.
      >
      > I truly enjoy making things and using them. So I will be making my
      own
      > hammock. Your mention of tangles and what not in a rope hammock has
      already
      > convinced me that cloth is the way to go.
      >
      > do, other than the book by Speer, are there any other wealths of
      > information. Possibly on line versions?
      >
      > Like anything new, terminology is a bit confusing. Forgive me all
      if I ask
      > what seem like boring/basic questions. I will only do so if I am
      not able
      > to figure out what sg means....
      >
      > Thank you again
      >
      > Rob Dawson
      >

      > At 10:38 AM 3/4/03 -0500, you wrote:
      > >Rob:
      > >
      > >Welcome to the group. I started hammocking by taking "picnic"
      hikes. I'd
      > >haul a heavy knotted-string hammock down a trail, eat my sandwich,
      and
      > >take a nap after lunch.
      > >
      > >I guess there are advantages to a rope hammock, but once I tried a
      cloth
      > >hammock, I've never looked back. They seem more comfortable,
      there's no
      > >tangle of strings to manage or get caught on, and solid cloth
      hammocks can
      > >be just a light, or even lighter than some string hammocks.
      > >
      > >You can plunge in headfirst and get a complete system like a
      Hennessy
      > >Hammock, or start with a basic hammock and add components as your
      > >requirements and pocketbook allow. You can make everything you
      need with
      > >very little effort.
      > >
      > >My first cloth hammock was the Tropical Hammock by Nomad Travel.
      You can
      > >get them from Brigade Quartermaster on the web, and from the Nomad
      Travel
      > >site as well. To this I added a polytarp, and a commercial
      mosquito net.
      > >In other words, I assembled my first rig from bought pieces, none
      of
      > >which cost over $30 by itself.
      > >
      > >Another great way to start would be to buy Ed Speer's book. It has
      all the
      > >details you need to build a slick hammock system for yourself,
      again with
      > >very little effort, skill, or expense.
      > >
      > >Above all, try your own experiments and dream up your own schemes
      while
      > >you're out there, swinging beneath the sky. And let us know what
      works for you.

      > >Bear
      > >
      > >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      >
      ><http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1
      705065843:HM/A=1464858/R=0/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/30
      0_Cquo_1/g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl>1033609.jpg