790RE: Hammock Camping Newbie to the group No. 2 for the day

  • robi dawson
    Mar 4, 2003

      Cool, thanks for swift reply!

      I am not very interested in buying anything already made. Numerous reasons,one being I have little to no spare money.

      But more importantly I very much enjoy producing my own things. I have a winter hat, hand woven by my son when he was 9. To most it is extremely ugly, the colors do not match, the quality of the knitting, is well, what you would expect of a 9 year old. But it was hand made for me and I wear it with pride.

      I truly enjoy making things and using them. So I will be making my own hammock. Your mention of tangles and what not in a rope hammock has already convinced me that cloth is the way to go.

      do, other than the book by Speer, are there any other wealths of information. Possibly on line versions?

      Like anything new, terminology is a bit confusing. Forgive me all if I ask what seem like boring/basic questions. I will only do so if I am not able to figure out what sg means....

      Thank you again

      Rob Dawson

      At 10:38 AM 3/4/03 -0500, you wrote:
      Welcome to the group. I started hammocking by taking "picnic" hikes. I'd haul a heavy knotted-string hammock down a trail, eat my sandwich, and take a nap after lunch.
      I guess there are advantages to a rope hammock, but once I tried a cloth hammock, I've never looked back. They seem more comfortable, there's no tangle of strings to manage or get caught on, and solid cloth hammocks can be just a light, or even lighter than some string hammocks.
      You can plunge in headfirst and get a complete system like a Hennessy Hammock, or start with a basic hammock and add components as your requirements and pocketbook allow. You can make everything you need with very little effort.
      My first cloth hammock was the Tropical Hammock by Nomad Travel. You can get them from Brigade Quartermaster on the web, and from the Nomad Travel site as well. To this I added a polytarp, and a commercial mosquito net. In other words, I  assembled my first rig from bought pieces, none of which cost over $30 by itself.
      Another great way to start would be to buy Ed Speer's book. It has all the details you need to build a slick hammock system for yourself, again with very little effort, skill, or expense.
      Above all, try your own experiments and dream up your own schemes while you're out there, swinging beneath the sky. And let us know what works for you.

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor