782Re: Newbie to the group

  • starnescr <starnescr@yahoo.com>
    Mar 3, 2003
      Hi David

      Glad you found us. Ed started the group so he deserves most of the
      credit. I can't comment on Therm-a-Rest pads but I have found all
      pads slip a little. Thin foam pads seem to work better and the
      wider pads tend to slip less. For instance my 27 inch wide 3/8 inch
      thick blue foam pad slips more than my 40 inch wide reflectix pad.
      My reflectix pad is almost as wide as the hammock body so it wraps
      up on both sides pretty good. Not much way it can slide out from
      under me. I tried a 20 inch blue foam pad and it was much harder to
      stay on top of.

      Now if you dont mind what state are you from. Were a nosy bunch.

      Coy Boy

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "blqysmg
      <david.chamness@e...>" <david.chamness@e...> wrote:
      > Hi, I just found this list, and thought I'd introduce myself. I'm
      > fairly new to the whole camping in a hammock movement. I've had
      > hammocks for years, and used them on the back porch, or when
      camping,
      > during the day. I've always loved my hammocks.
      >
      > I'd never thought of camping overnight in a hammock, though, till
      > found info about it on the web this winter. What a concept! I
      don't
      > know why I never thought of sleeping the night in comfort before.
      It
      > would have made sense, I guess.
      >
      > The problem is, as you guys already know, staying warm. I've read
      > bit about the way folks are trying to keep warm in the hammocks at
      > night. I tried sleeping out two weekends ago. I set up a tent
      for
      > my boys (ages 4 and 6), and the hammock for myself.
      >
      > I used a big, comfy hammock that I had bought at a boat show, of
      all
      > places. It is 1.9 oz rip-stop nylon, with the cloth extending all
      > the way to the ends, where hooks are attached. I bought it
      becouse
      > it's the first hammock I'd ever seen that didn't have strings to
      get
      > tangled up.
      >
      > I covered the hammock with a 8'x10' tarp, which I tied over a
      center
      > rope. The tarp just reached the ground on either side of the
      > hammock. I staked it down with five stakes on the windy side,
      > because the weather channel predicted high winds. Boy, they were
      > right.
      >
      > The wind was fifteen to thirty, and I bet a couple of those gusts
      > were close to fifty. It rained,too, but not a great amount. In
      the
      > areas north of me, I hear there were extremely voilent storms. I
      > stayed warm and dry until the wind pulled my stakes out. It was
      the
      > most eventful night I've ever spent out.
      >
      > The sleeping pad thing has me puzzled, though. I used a therm-a-
      > rest, and a lightweight sleeping bag. Underneath, I was almost
      too
      > warm. It felt strangely like I was sleeping on a heating pad. I
      > don't think the sleeping bag I used was heavy enough for the
      night,
      > though. It was really a summer weight bag, only good down to 55
      > degrees. Since the temp dropped to about 40, I had to resort to
      > covering the bag with a fleese liner.
      >
      > The only problem I had was whenever I moved, the darn therm-a-rest
      > would turn sideways. As long as I could stay on it, I was nice
      and
      > toasty, when it turned, my legs would get cold. It was also
      > asthetically displeasing to have the pad sticking up beside me!
      >
      > Do the foam pads stay in place better? Are thin pads better at
      > conforming to your shape, or do you slide off of them? Would
      sewing
      > or zipping a liner onto the pad help to keep it in place?
      >
      > Inquiring minds want to know!
      >
      > Thanks for contributing to this body of knowledge. I'm really
      glad I
      > found you guys!
      >
      > David
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic