7814Re: To Cat or not to Cat, was re:Tyvek

  • Rat
    Jan 4, 2005
      I used the same
      characteristic curve for the ridgeline and the sides, with the
      curve
      being defined as having a 5" drop over 10'... this gives it a 6"
      drop
      over 11' and a 1.8" drop over 6'. I used a cardboard sewing board
      (?)
      that had 1" grids to make my templetes and cut the material with a
      soldering iron using those templetes.

      Youngblood

      A few quick questions

      1) Do you use grossgrain or webbing on your tarps around the
      perimiter seams? I can't tell from the pictures.

      2) How do you determine the "amount of sag" over a given distance
      for best results. I always thought it was about 1 inch of sag for
      every 1 foot linear, but it looks like you use lesss than that. It
      looks to me like Brin uses a lot more sag in his tarps.

      I really like your idea of the tarp tent and that is what I am going
      to build although I would like to make it 120 X 96, any thoughts on
      that (is that too small, or what would you do different)? I also
      want to use a straight ridgeline, not cat cut. I think this would
      allow me use it better as a tarp only shelter (no hammock). I also
      see you have a third tie out in the long side of the tarp, would
      this be needed if the cat cut (sag) was deeper?

      I have the material on order and will begin work on it in about 2
      weeks, this will be my first homemade gear project.

      Rat
    • Show all 32 messages in this topic