7729Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammocking in the Rain

    Dec 28, 2004
      walkonemile50 wrote:

      >I would love to hear some tricks and tips users have found when it
      >comes to Hammocking in the rain for long periods.. Depending on how
      >cold it is and what you sleep in, can make a big difference. Anyway,
      >any input would be great.

      Hammock tubes (snakeskins) are a great way to put up the hammock in the
      rain.
      Having a tarp in tubes over my head makes it easy to deploy the tarp if
      an unexpected shower comes through in the middle of the night.
      For extended rain, it helps to either use an 8x10 or 10x10 foot tarp OR
      set up near a shelter for cooking and socializing.
      It is easier to keep my back dry if I walk out of the tarp at the ends
      for 2AM nature calls than walking out the sides.
      For rainy nights, my pack stays drier under the tarp and hammock than
      anywhere else.
      Hanging a food back upside down (draw string down - hanging from a loop
      sewed to the the bag's bottom) keeps food drier.

      Risk
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic