768Re: Newbie question(s)

  • starnescr <starnescr@yahoo.com>
    Mar 2, 2003
      Micheal

      The HH Expedition uses a symetrical fly so it does not matter which
      end you put it on. It also does not matter which side you place on
      top. If it had seams (which it does not) you would make sure the
      upper material overlaped the lower material.

      If rain is likely just be sure and tie the side tieouts down low but
      try not to let them touch the hammock body. Yes it looks like you
      are awfully close to the edge of the fly edges but I slept
      perfectly dry on mithe during a 3 inch rain. I'm 6 feet tall. If
      you are much taller you might have your feet and head closer to the
      edge of the fly than I do. A very tall person would need to sleep
      less diagonally or choose a different (longer) modle.

      I usually guy one side low and the other side almost straight out.
      Mainly so I can see better out the high side. When I have both
      sides guyed low (expecting rain) I cant see out very well. I always
      attach the strechy cord of the hammock to the ring in the fly.
      Seems to keep the hammock from closing in on me as much plus reduces
      rocking.

      Coy Boy

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "eremitike <eremitike@e...>"
      <eremitike@e...> wrote:
      > Hi folks,
      >
      > I have an older model HH Expedition that I bought recently and am
      > practicing setting it up before my first trip with it. A couple of
      > questions have arisen.
      >
      > 1. I keep reading about making sure the tarp is installed "the
      right
      > way." I take it this means more that just right-side up, but that
      > there is a head corner and a foot corner as well? If so, what's
      the
      > quick way to tell? When I climb into my hammock and lay down
      > diagonally, I notice that my head and feet are both barely under
      the
      > tarp. Do I need to reverse the tarp, or is there some other issue
      > here?
      >
      > 2. How far out do most of you folks guy the sides of the hammock
      > body? Do you vary it for different conditions? I imagine in rain,
      > you would have the tarp guyed down rather low, does this mean that
      > you tend to pull the sides of the hammock in as well? Do you ever
      > not guy out the sides of the hammock?
      >
      > I know these are basic questions, most of which I will figure out
      on
      > my own by experimenting. Still I wanted to get some of your input
      > and suggestions on basic hammocking with the Hennessey.
      >
      > Thanks for your time.
      >
      > Also, to Shane, I made a pad like yours (closed cell foam, wrapped
      > in a Space blanket, wrapped in a Neat Sheet). It took all of about
      > 30 minutes (including 5 minutes of begging my wife to set up her
      > sewing machine) and it came out great. I tried it for a quick nap
      in
      > 60* weather and woke up sweating, so it should be great for cooler
      > temps. Thanks for the tip!
      >
      > Michael
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic