757Re: Cord marking question

  • geoflyfisher <geoflyfisher@yahoo.com>
    Feb 28, 2003
      Sure, outside the established box,

      Seeing that you do not need to do the measurement in feet or any
      other units, use an anatomic measuring stick. You may want to use
      the distance from your palm to your elbow (handy when doing distance
      with cord) And it's handy that two "forearm" lengths just about
      equals a step. So you don't mark the cord, you just measure it out
      and tie. (If you need a finer measure, 2 hand spans (thumb to little
      finger, spread widely) equals a forearm)

      If the hammock is 3 steps long and the distance between trees is 5
      steps, you need a forearm and a half of cord at each end.

      Oh, there are a few others: A fathom, the measure from one
      outstretched hand to the other is about 2 steps - which is also a
      pace. 1000 paces (a mille paces) is a mile as are a 1000 fathoms.
      Actually the fathom is a little longer than a pace for most people (6
      vs 5.25 feet), so a statute mile is a little shorter than a nautical
      mile.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "colonelcorn76
      <colonelcorn76@y...>" <colonelcorn76@y...> wrote:
      > Hi Folks,
      >
      > I use a Hennessey Hammock (Ultralight Asym) but I suspect this
      > question could apply to any number of other hammocks out there. I
      > have marked my hammock tie-out ropes (cords really) with little
      > rings of white medical tape at 1 foot intervals to make it easier
      > setup right the first time.
      >
      > I start by pacing the distance between the trees, subtract the
      > length of the hammock, split the remaining difference to come up
      > with how long each rope end should be between the tree. Then when I
      > put the first end up I pull through enough cord on the initial
      > lashing to leave the correct number of tape rings between the tree
      > and the hammock. Then I go to the other end of the hammock and when
      > I tie that to the tree the hammock is almost dead-on centered and
      > properly tensioned.
      >
      > My question is whether anyone knows how to mark the rope a little
      > more permanently? I tried white-out and a few types of paint
      > (although I'm hesitant to try some of the solvent based ones in
      fear
      > of what they might do to the cord/rope). Those wore off pretty
      > quickly as sometimes when the trees are closer together some ended
      > up being pulled through the lashing and the markings abraded off.
      > The tape is a little more durable but in warm weather the adhesive
      > sometimes loosens up so the tape ring moves...which means they're
      > not at 1' intervals and my whole system is invalidated.
      >
      > I thought about putting little overhand knots in the cord but
      > haven't due to the potential for weakening the cord and because I
      > want something with some contrast so they're easy to see/count.
      >
      > Anyone have a clever idea here?
      >
      > Jim
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic