7444Re: [Hammock Camping] How tight? What Angle?

  • David Chinell
    Dec 7, 2004
      Here are the methods and metrics I use for hanging my Speer-type hammock.
      This is for fair weather.

      Pick trees that are 13 to 17 feet apart. (I mean my feet, heel-to-toe.)

      Tie tree ropes at eye level. Tie a ridgeline about six inches above that.

      Tension the hammock ropes (while attaching them to the tree ropes) so that
      the top edges of the hammock come roughly midway up my thighs. When sitting
      in the hammock, with my thighs horizontal and my knees bent 90 degrees, my
      feet should be flat on the ground.

      The point here is that it's easier to get in and out of the hammock when it
      acts like a chair.

      Bear
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic