7416Re: How far are you willing to go to make the hammock work?

  • jack_tier
    Dec 4, 2004
      Jeff,

      The DWR of your 1.1 oz nylon JRB quilts are most wind resistent.

      There is a new sytem being introduced, JRB Weather Shield. A two
      part, microporous polypropylene set of Covers sized to shield the
      Nest under quilt and No Sniveller or Old Rag Mtn Quilts. This suff
      though a little fragile will give good life to the experienced
      and/or careful hammock user. They use the existing JRB Suspension
      System. They are waterproof and wind proof. Bottom weighs about 8
      oz and the top weighs about 7 oz. They will make a great lighter
      weight hot weater answer and weather/temperature range extenders to
      both the three and four season sets. Good news is the cost will be
      about $60 a set. Look for them on www.jacksrbetter.com in a week or
      two.

      Jack

      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@h...> wrote:
      > > I'm curious how far everyone is willing to go to make their
      > hammock
      > > work in cold temps? I think the idea of the HH supershelter is
      > > good one but its practicality in cold weather is still to be
      > > determined.
      >
      > I'm willing to go as far as it's still safe and it doesn't weigh
      too
      > much more than a tent for the same warmth. I'd carry a little
      extra
      > weight over the normal tent/pad setup just for the convenience of
      > easier site selection and the comfort of not sleeping on roots and
      > rocks. About a 3 lbs increase is tolerable, I guess. Bulk would
      be
      > the other major factor. I guess cost is in there, too, since I
      > struggled with the decision to get the underquilt, but in the end
      > decided it was worth it.
      >
      > The Supershelter just didn't seem versatile enough since you can
      > really only use it on the HH. The underquilt can be used by
      itself
      > as garment of sleeping quilt, and it gets you to colder temps
      > without additional insulation or bulk. Either way, in colder
      > weather I'd carry my 20x40 closed-cell pad for additional
      insulation
      > in the underquilt or to escape to ground.
      >
      > I'm thinking about adding a wind-break like Risk's TravelPod, and
      > that's about as far as I think I'd go. Underquilt with closed-
      cell
      > pad in between, top quilt, windbreak. Beyond that, I think I
      might
      > just take a tent.
      >
      > Jeff
    • Show all 53 messages in this topic