7402RE: [Hammock Camping] Ground Dweller

  • Dave Bellinski
    Dec 2, 2004

      JD,

      I've never attended the New Years celebration, but I'll pass on what I know.

      Water should be no problem on the approach trail, as several water locations are noted in the AT Data book. Alcohol though, is another issue. You'll have to pack your own, as I understand that area is "Dry", buy your refreshments early, in a wet county.

      Last New Years Eve was celebrated in short sleeves; previous years have seen single digit temps, so be prepared.

      I believe the celebration took place in the parking area where USFS42 intersects the trail (the North side of Springer at the base).  Don't know the time it begins.

      The Visitors center is at 1700', peak of Springer is 3782'.

      Someone else will have to fill you in on details of the approach trail. If your schedule is real tight, you could drive in.

      Enjoy yourself!