7367Subject: Re:staying warm in Hennessy hammock/Horsethief bag

  • Coy
    Nov 27, 2004
      Hi Stephanie

      Just wondering if the pad sleeve with pad inside is what's going
      on. If the pad keeps the lower side from snugging up like most
      other sleeping bags I think this may be what is causing the funny
      fit you describe when you try to adjust the face opening. I am not
      familiar with the smaller BA bags but the Hog Park I tested for BGT
      was a lot different than a normal bag on a pad. It kept the hood
      from snugging around my head. I basically just adjusted it so I had
      a hole to look out of. It felt much different becaus I'm used to a
      snug fitting hood. I touched on this a little in my Hog Park review
      but it may not apply that much to the Horse Thief.

      Coy Boy

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "stephanie" <sswaim63@s...>
      wrote:

      > Todd,
      >
      > What I think I need to do is to get someone else to lay down in
      the
      > Horsethief and use them as a guinea pig so I can't see what is
      going
      > on with that neck area. I can't really tell what is going on to my
      > satisfaction when I'm laying in it myself! I read the reviews on
      BGT
      > but to no avail. I just need to see what it is intended to look
      like
      > when closed up. If I lay in the bag so that my head is on the
      pillow
      > pocket (and I assume the pillow pocket is supposed to be "inside"
      the
      > bag), and then I tighten the drawstring, the thing closes up
      across
      > my face with almost my whole head inside the bag. Unless I pull it
      > down under my chin which just doesn't work as it feels like
      > strangulation. So I don't use the drawstring, I just have been
      > tucking that down dam thingie around my neck. Hmmm..now I need to
      go
      > lie down in the bag again. Also, when I slept on the ground I used
      > POE Insulmat inside the bag's pad sleeve. It inflates to about 2.5
      > inches (and is great..first time I've had any semblance of comfort
      > sleeping on the ground). In the hammock I used 3/8 inch foam pad
      plus
      > windshield reflector. I noticed that using the inflatable pad
      inside
      > the pad sleeve dramtically changed the fit of the bag, i.e. there
      was
      > much less room inside the bag.
      >

      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ptoddf@a... wrote:
      > > Stephanie,
      > >
      > > Good comments on Horsethief, thanks. If you come up with
      anything
      > better for
      > > the neck closure, please post it. I think that removing the
      > pendular neck dam
      > > thing and just rolling the top edge down inside one baffle or
      less
      > might do it
      > > for me. Should make a much better fit and an effective air dam.
      I'm
      > going to
      > > hand stitch it removably and try it. Along with the Finbar hood,
      > which as you
      > > point out, is affordably priced in comparison to high end down
      > models.

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic