7353Re: Supershelter (wasSnake Skins)

  • chcoa
    Nov 26, 2004
      Thanks Craig. I've had about 6 tries in the Supershelter so far.
      All hovering around 50F. I appreciate the advice about the late
      night snack and covering my head. Usually I do wear a beenie to bed
      when actually out on the trail but at only 50F and car camping I
      figured I'd try without just to see the results.

      Jamie in AZ

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig Stephanski
      <stephanski@s...> wrote:
      > Jamie in AZ,
      >
      > Well I'm assuming that you haven't been able to get many hours in
      cold temps with the SuperShelter yet, but it seems that you should
      have better results with a; covering your head (that will help very
      much!) and b; eating a little cheese or other fatty foods (peanuts,
      etc) before bed. I know that I am a 'cold sleeper' and need to put
      fuel into my body to keep me warmer at night. If I don't eat
      beforehand, I get noticibly colder at about 2-3am. Perhaps try just a
      piece of an old army wool blanket folded in a couple of layers to lay
      on........the combinations are endless. That's why this forum is so
      great, you can bounce things off each other and find what works best
      for you!! Take care and good luck!....Craig

      > chcoa <jdeben@h...> wrote:
      > Craig, if you are sleeping direcly on the "cheepie blue egg crate
      > pad" then it's no surprise you are doing okay at those temps. Rick
      > has had really good results with his closed cell Target pads. The
      > Supershelter system is a bit different however, the insulation is
      > hanging under you. In the attempts I've made so far, I slept in
      long
      > cotton pants, socks, fleece booties, t-shirt, and a light weight
      > fleece jacket covered by my 40 F modified sleeping bag/now quilt.
      > Top of me was not the problem. I did not eat right before and I
      did
      > not have anything on my head but I was sleeping on a little down
      camp
      > pillow. Don't know if I'm a cold sleeper.
      >
      > jamie in az
      >
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig Stephanski
      > <stephanski@s...> wrote:
      > > What are you wearing for clothing during these "cold" nights? I
      > can get to 40F with just a cheapie blue egg crate pad, sleeping bag
      > and a wool blanket. I had to wear long johns just once on the
      > coldest night. Are you a cold sleeper? Do you make sure you eat
      > something before you go to sleep to keep your metabolism going?
      That
      > also helps keep you warm at night. Take care........Craig
      > > chcoa <jdeben@h...> wrote:
      > > Well the verdict on the Supershelter is still out. I'm testing
      it
      > > right now and I haven't had much success below 50F so far. 5
      more
      > > months to go, we'll see.....
      > >
      > > jamie in az
      > >
      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig Stephanski
      > > <stephanski@s...> wrote:
      > > I recommend anything that Tom makes, 'cause it works very well!!!
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      > > Get unlimited calls to
      > >
      > > U.S./Canada

      > Service.