7196Re: [Hammock Camping] wild idea

  • jonas4321@juno.com
    Nov 4, 2004
      I am hammocking at the Okpik (BSA Winter Camping) training in January, and I may end up in a moderately windy site next to a lake. I am considering a modified snow slit trench, slung low, with the tarp low as well, to block wind. I'd still be suspended (unless I don't want to sleep, which is what will happen if I am on the ground), but low. Shouldn't take much to construct if the snow is at all deep.
      On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 11:37:12 -0700 Dick Matthews <dick@cpa3.net> writes:
      Just might be stupid.  I figure it is virtually a whole day to construct.  Hike into the area make the snow pile about late morning, go for a snowshoe, then return and dig the cave.  I have never been able to create a snow shelter without getting wet.  Caves are fun and great emergency shelters, but only useful for base camp situations.

      I just wonder if the movement of the trees and hammock will cause the roof to collapse.  I guess I need to try it and see.

      Dick Matthews

      Nazdarovye wrote:
      Wow - ambitious!
      I was going to try mine out in a snow slit trench this winter - similar
      thinking, just without the roof. I figured that it would take care of
      the majority of the convective heat loss due to wind.
      If you try this, post pictures - I'd love to see it.
      On Nov 3, 2004, at 9:16 AM, Dick Matthews wrote:
      Winter will be here soon and I am thinking about setting my hammock up
      in a quinzhee.
      1.    Dig a trench in the snow between the two trees,
      2.    Install the hammock in snake skins,
      3.    Inflate a VBL sleeping bag liner under the hammock,
      4.    Throw the snow back on the hammock,
      5.    Dig the snow cave.
      Has anyone tried this?
      Advice or comments please.
      Dick Matthews