7121Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: How low can you go?

  • Adrnlnjnky
    Oct 25, 2004
      I experienced my first hammock failure this fall. I was using 1.1 oz.
      nylon and it just rubbed against a rock on the ground while I was
      sitting in it with little Emma (18 months) and all of a sudden I had
      two pieces of fabric and a dirty but. The rock was not sharp and I
      didn't think to much of it when we rocked over it the first time but
      the second or third pass I can't remember was the clincher.

      Tom

      On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 16:51:40 -0000, Mirage <mirage@...> wrote:

      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Sandberg"
      > <docteric@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm wondering how low people have gone as far as the weight of
      > their
      > > hammock fabric.
      > >
      > > I know Ed recommends 1.9 oz for folks under 200, Rich uses 1.1 for
      > > his double layered, and one person (sorry, I forget your name)
      > uses
      > > silk.
      > >
      > > Has anyone gone with a single layer of 1.5 or 1.1 (or even
      > > lighter)? What were your results?
      >
      > Eric,
      >
      > My current system uses 1.1oz RS Nylon, single layer. I weigh btwn
      > 180 and 190, bare skin. There are small area of "pulling" where my
      > body produces the greatest wear against the hammock material (where
      > my waist/rear are), but after a season of use, I still feel safe in
      > it.
      >
      > That is no excuse to not check every morning when you get out and
      > every evening when you get in to be sure your hammock integrity is
      > still intact.
      >
      > My full system can be seen at:
      > http://www.peak.org/~webdawg/Hammocking/MirageHammockSystem
      >
      > Shane "Mirage"...
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Tom Peltier
      Pura Vida

      Were we directed from Washington when to sow, and when to reap, we
      should soon want bread.
      Thomas Jefferson, Autobiography, 1821
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic