6904orientation and directions

  • uluheman
    Oct 1, 2004
      I have a good friend who cannot tell left from right, and,
      apparently, it's not that uncommon.

      Also, there are other frames of reference around the world, which may
      be of interest to hikers. Here on Oahu, it is highly uncommon to use
      compass directions. Almost universally, directions are given in terms
      of mauka (toward the mountains, which generally means towards the
      center of an island) and makai (toward the ocean). Local towns or
      landmarks are used to specify circumferential movement. Thus, one
      might need to go "five blocks mauka and one block Diamond Head" to
      get to a certain destination. It's basically a polar coordinate
      system.

      Furthermore, the mountains are so scored by deep valleys with steep
      walls and narrow ridgelines that it's usually impossible to follow a
      compass bearing. My impression is that most of us who spend a lot of
      time in our mountains think spatially in terms of a network of
      existing or potential pathways rather than a continuous Cartesian
      plane.

      Nevertheless, I've been known to trip over my guylines.

      Aloha,

      Brandon in Honolulu

      > Local or inertial frame of reference (in physics terms). I locate
      the
      > guy wires as they are in the greater environment, you might locate
      > them in relation to the hammock. I always visualize things as
      > orthogonally oriented even though I know it isn't exactly North
      South
      > etc. (Architects call things "plan north". So in the middle of the
      > night I know where the hammock is but I can't remember how it or the
      > guy lines are placed until I trip over them (literally). It is part
      of
      > a minor learning disability.
      >
      > I always!! give directions North South, I don't know left from right
      > in any consistent manner unless I am facing north. I almost flunked
      my
      > driving test here and in England because of that. Winding English
      > streets drove me nuts for two years. I really like the way Brigham
      > Young planned out the Salt Lake Valley, Cartesian coordinate system,
      > and the mountains are always to the east for a reference. Jerry and
      > Kate would have to try real hard to get lost in Salt Lake.
      > Ralph
      >

      > On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 16:17:12 -0500, Shane <shane@t...> wrote:
      > > > Shane when you give or get directions do you do Right- Left or
      do you
      > > > do North-South etc. ? Serious question, really. And it might
      apply

      > > Both. It depends on the context... I will tend to use
      north/south when I
      > > can. What does it mean?
      > >

      > > Shane

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic