6864My Simple Hammock Hints...And My Underquilt Problem....

  • Steve
    Sep 29, 2004
      Hello all...just thought Id post a couple things that I do with my
      Hennessy Hammock, to make life in a hammock a tad bit easier....

      1. I have placed a wrap of silver duct tape on the "foot" end of the
      hammock main line. Since I have snakeskins for the hammock, this
      allows me to determine right away (without unravelling the
      snakeskins) which end of the hammock is which.

      2. I use 2 small carabiners hung inside the hammock on the ridge
      line. This allows me to hang my flashlight(s), socks, etc and
      easilly unhook them, or slide them up and down the ridgeline. The
      hammock comes with 2 clasps but I find they are too small to work
      properly.

      3. I purchased an oversized Hex shaped fly for the hammock. The fly
      is made by Hennessy and fits on any of the hammocks. It is
      considerably larger than the standard fly that comes with the
      hammock (Expedition Asym Model). It allows enough room underneath to
      sit, stand, cook, change, etc. It also fits inside the snakeskins so
      I dont have to take the tarp off to wrap up the hammock in the skins.

      4. I replaced all of the guy-lines on the fly with reflective guy-
      lines (bought 50 feet for 5 bucks). I was always walking into the
      guy-lines and pulling them out of the ground, especially at night.

      5. I bought 2 expandable poles (10 bucks each) that allow me to
      raise one side or the center of each side of the fly. It provides a
      better view out of the hammock and creates a sort of awning.

      6. I measured the exact center of the hammock and marked it with a
      wrap of silver duct tape. I then placed a line level on that mark so
      I can determine right away if the hammock is level or not. I leave
      the level on the hammock, even when I wrap it up in the snakeskins.

      7. I have tied a prusic knot on the end of each side of the hammock
      (main line). This allows me to hang a carabiner or two from each
      knot, and hang all my gear. I can slide the knot up or down the
      mainline, and either underneath or outside of the fly.

      8. The Hex fly I purchased has a number of tie-out points on it. It
      makes it difficult to find which loop goes where. I colour coded the
      2 main tie-outs with...you guessed it....silver duct tape. This
      allows me to quickly find the points of the fly that I need to
      attach to the fly-tensioners.

      9. I have pre-tied several knots in the shock-corded anti-sway lines
      from the hammock. This allows me to quickly adjust the angle at
      which I stake out the lines (making the hammock fuller, or more
      swayish- if that is a word...)

      10. I use a small piece of an old plastic tarp as a ground cover
      underneath the hammock. It is about 2 feet by 2 feet and provides
      just enough room to stand on and get in and out of the hammock.

      These are all things that took no more than about 15 minutes total
      to put together. I personally find that they all make the hammock
      experience even more enjoyable and easy.

      Just thought I'd share....

      Enjoy!

      Oh ya, regarding my home-made underquilt....Well I didn't need it
      for this past trip as the temperatures never got below 10 degrees
      Celsius (weird for Ontario). Also I had a tough time rigging up a
      suspension system for underneath. I think the problem was that the
      underquilt was square and the hammock is not. I think I will try
      cutting the fleece to fit the hammock's shape and suspending it with
      shock-cord at points along the hammock.....Ill keep you posted!
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic