6769[Hammock Camping] Re: Winter Kit (was Digest...)

  • Coy
    Sep 13, 2004
      I've stayed in my hammock about 8 hours max, however in the winter i
      usually have a kampfire unless I am hiking all day (probably more
      what you do on the AT) so I may not turn in till late. I can read
      much easier in my hammock. In fact in a small tent I cant do much
      of nothing comfortably. In the winter i usually get up early and
      stike camp in the dark. whether I hike a while or fix breakfast
      depends on how cold it is. If it is really cold i will probably
      hike awhile (helps warm me up) till i find a good place to fix
      breakfast and by 8 or so it usually has warmed up quite a bit.
      Cours again the weather in Al is much warmer all around than you,
      Jerry or Steve deal with.

      Coy Boy

      > I agree with Jerry here. It is nice to know that I *can* sleep
      well in
      > a hammock in cold temperatures - snow - wind. It lets me rest
      easier
      > when I am wondering what the weather is really up to. But long
      winter
      > nights in a hammock get pretty boring to me. After about 6 hours
      of
      > sleeping, I need to be doing something else.
      >
      > Rick
      >
      > Jerry Goller wrote:
      >
      > > Hard to tell. Other factors come into play. I personally don't
      want to
      > > want to tie my shelter to two snow laden trees....lol. I also
      like an
      > > enclosed shelter for melting snow and such. Winter nights are
      pretty
      > > long to spend them in a hammock....
      > > I strongly doubt I'd ever become a winter hammock user.
      > > Jerry
      > >

      > > http://www.BackpackGearTest.org
      <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/> :
      > > the most comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the
      planet.

      you can
      > > take what you need for 50, then take more for really cold
      weather.

      > > Coy Boy
      > >

      > > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*

      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129uk21ml/M=295196.4901138.6071305.30011
      76/D=groups/S=1705065843:HM/EXP=1094962502/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf
      6/*http://companion.yahoo.com>

      subject=Unsubscribe>