6689Re: [Hammock Camping] Fox Face Tarp?

    Aug 31, 2004
      I don't understand the 24 oz for the 9'x9.5' dimensions for the
      Eagle's Nest rain tarp. A rectangular tarp would be 9.5 sq yds and
      the shape it uses means it would be much less than that, maybe 65% of
      the 9.5 sq yds. So I suspect either the 24 oz is not correct or
      either they are not using 1.1oz silnylon that weights around 1.3 oz
      per sq yd. My guess is that if it were the 1.3 oz stuff, that it
      would weigh in the 8 oz range.

      About the shape, it kind of looks like a diamond shaped tarp that the
      original Hennessy's used with added material to provide more coverage
      for the foot and head ends of the hammock. So in that sense it is
      kind of clever. You get better coverage and it is probably pitches
      more taut at the price of a little more material, but it takes 6
      stakes versus 2.

      As far as coverage goes, it is somewhere between the original
      Hennessy diamond tarp and Brian's McCat tarp. It uses six stakes,
      the Hennessy uses two and Brian's uses four.

      For now, I still use and prefer the comfort of the larger area that
      my rectangular shaped tarp gives me, but I still review the tradeoffs
      of smaller, lighter weight tarps from time to time. Then, I remember
      how much nicer it is when it is raining, expecially during the night
      when I don't have to worry near as much about whether I am going to
      get wet or not in a heavy wind driven rain.

      Youngblood

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Carl Iobst <iobstce@y...>
      wrote:
      > Definately an interesting look to the foxfacerainfly
      > seuss 910. I agree that in a driving rain the fly
      > would probably become next to useless. 24 oz's is a
      > bit heavy. My 8'x10' Equinox silnylon tarp only weighs
      > 14 oz's. I be willing to bet it gives better foul
      > weather coverage to my ultra-lite asym H&H also!
      > Cordially,
      > CI
      > --- seuss910 <wrv77@y...> wrote:
      >
      > > I notice that Eagle's Nest has finally rolled out a
      > > new rainfly for
      > > their hammocks. The pictures look . . . interesting.
      > > Has anyone seen
      > > one of these in use? It looks like a straight
      > > ridgelined asymmetrical
      > > decagon with an extreme catenary cut around the
      > > perimeter and 8(?)
      > > tie outs. It looks very taut but doesn't look
      > > especially dry.
      > >
      > > http://www.eaglesnestoutfit.com/foxfacerainfly.htm
      > >
      > > Thoughts?
      > >

      > =====
      > Train virtual, live Real!!!
      > ('Real' refers to the concepts postulated by Karl Pribram's
      Holographic Paradigmn and David Bohm's theory of Non-locality)

      > http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic