6671Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: AT Section Hike - Risk

    Aug 28, 2004
      zippydooda wrote:

      >Risk, Thanks for posting.
      >
      >I am clueless about the AT so I had a question. Why did you sleep in
      >the shelters those first two nights instead of outside in your
      >hammock?
      >
      >Sorry about the blister. Hope you get the boots worked out. And I
      >hope the noise in the truck is nothing.
      >
      >The guide drives the same car I do (Honda Element), but mine is
      >orange. Not that that is relevant at all...
      >
      >Bill in Houston
      >

      >--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Risk" <ra1@i...> wrote:
      >

      >>I am just back from a 75 mile hike from Clingman's Dome in the
      >>

      >Smoky
      >

      >>Mountains to Hot Springs, NC. It was a good trip, in which my
      >>

      >hammock
      >

      >>came in very handy. I wish I could have used it more the the
      >>

      >national
      >

      >>park!
      >>
      >>A report with almost 70 photos is here:
      >>
      >>http://www.imrisk.com/atsmokeynorth/atsmokeynorth.htm
      >>
      >>Risk

      The Smoky Mountains have some strange restrictions that are not present
      anywhere else on the trail. If not in the middle of a thru-hike, each
      camping spot must be reserved ahead and the registration carried with
      the hiker. It is free, but still a hassle. In addition, normally the
      hiker is not allowed to camp outside the shelter if the camping spot is
      a shelter. Along the AT, there are almost no stopping spots that are
      not shelters.

      So, long story, is that I had to stay at and in the shelter the first
      three nights.

      As for the boots... The right one gave me no problem. I will have to
      let my left heel heal up before I know if the left one can be used by me.

      Risk
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic