6467[Hammock Camping] Re: 3/32" Hammock Hanging Rope?

  • zippydooda
    Aug 5, 2004
      Hey Risk, as far as stretch, the amount of stretch per unit of load
      should be higher for the first unit of load than for subsequent
      units. Sorry, which means that if you get 1% stretch with the first
      95 lbs, that the next 95 pounds should be less than 1% stretch. So
      for 450 lbs, you are looking at maybe 4% stretch or less.

      Good luck with the experiment, and thanks for posting your ideas.
      Hopefully the knots you use won't reduce the ultimate tensile
      strength too much. Maybe put a big mattress under you when you do
      the testing ;-)

      Bill in Houston

      > Ralph Oborn wrote:
      >
      > >To engineer the straps/ropes how big of a safety factor do you
      plan
      > >on?
      > >If I weigh 200 lbs. and hang at 40°. then my static load on each
      > >rope is 155 lbs. is a rope with 5oo lbs. breaking strength enough?
      > >1000 lbs? 1500 lbs?
      > >

      > Thus far I have done well with straps with a breaking strength of
      > 300-600 pounds. I "figure" that with a breaking strength of 950
      pounds,
      > the 3/32 T-100 cord is probably strong enough. All I know about
      stretch
      > is that the line is said to stretch less than one percent at 95
      pounds
      > of tension.
      >
      > Another cord I might think about would be the 1/8 inch Pulse Line
      which
      > is also about 900 pounds of strength.
      >
      > This is just an experiment for me. I will not guess any conclusion
      > until I actually try it. I know that I will be *very* surprised if
      3/32
      > inch cord is sufficient. But if it is, this offers considerable
      space
      > and weight savings, as well as a little cost savings.
      >
      > Risk
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic