64453/32" Hammock Hanging Rope?

  • ra1@imrisk.com
    Aug 4, 2004
      3/32" Hammock Hanging Rope?

      I ordered some T-100 3/32 line from West Marine yesterday as a trial to decrease
      weight and bulk of my hammock straps.

      From the beginning, I have always used Ed's method of hammock straps and find
      significant advantages to 1 inch webbing. However, I find it harder and harder
      to justify the 30 feet of webbing I have been carrying. It takes up a full
      third of the bulk of my hammock. The weight is not inconsiderable.

      Yesterday, I was out on the West marine catalog page to find the orange 1/16
      inch Pulse Line which works so very well for tarp pull outs. I happened upon
      T-100 cord which is a low stretch spectra core cord. The 3/32 line has a listed
      breaking strength of 950 pounds! That is stronger than the 1 inch webbing I now
      use.

      So I ordered 30 feet of it at $0.24 a foot. I think I will attach 6-10 feet to
      each end of a hammock and then use 1 inch webbing as a Hennessy Hammock style
      tree hugger. (I would not use thin cord on a tree without protection.) For
      now, I will be using a short piece of webbing on the hammock to which I tie the
      cord. Perhaps I will be able to avoid that connector and tie directly to the
      hammock in the future, but am a little afraid of the effect of thin cord on the
      hammock material.

      I also have a new (for me) and more elegent idea for attaching bug nets at the
      ends of the hammock.

      Results to be posted after some experiments.

      Risk
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic