6427Re: [Hammock Camping] Trip Report

  • Mirage
    Aug 2, 2004
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, SF Nazdarovye
      <nazdarovye@y...> wrote:
      > Rick - fun to read your report!
      >
      > Welcome to the world of the Adirondacks - that's where I grew up
      and
      > got my love of backpacking; though there may be higher mountains
      > elsewhere, the peaks there offer some true challenges. And it's
      > definitely a hammocker's paradise.

      I grew up in the Catskills, foot hills of the Adirondacks, but still
      vividly remember my Mt. Marcy summit, treks on Indian Head, Mt.
      Baker and other forgoten peaks and a week spent canoeing on the
      Saranac lake system.

      While I miss some of the scenery and trails (not the black flies), I
      just spent a weekend up in Jeffereson Park, an alpine meadow/plateu,
      at ~6000ft. on a section of the PCT, on the northern side of Mt.
      Jefferson in the Oregon Cascades.

      It was the most beautiful hiking weather I can EVER remember during
      a hike. I was testing out my DIY hammock system (4.3oz hammock,
      5.7oz bug netting and 12oz tarp, plus lines). Also testing my DIY
      underquilt and recently completed Kennebec pull-over from Ayce at
      thru-hiker.com.

      I'll post pics as soon as I get them off the cameras and on the
      web.

      <Shameless BGT plug>
      What a great weekend to be testing gear for BGT
      (http://www.backpackgeartest.org).
      </Shameless BGT plug)

      Shane "Mirage"...
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic