6412Re: [Hammock Camping] BUG PROTECTION

  • ra1@imrisk.com
    Aug 2, 2004
      Quoting BRIAN <opnheartscrub@...>:

      > Hello all:
      >
      > I've been lurking here for some time and now I need an opinion(s) on
      > the subject of mosquitos. I live in Tampa, Fl. and have found my HH
      > Expedition Asym to be the coolest alternative when camping in the
      > summer heat. The problem I'm having is that the mosquitos also
      > enjoy my summertime setup and suck blood from me through the hammock
      > bottom. How can I stop them without putting another layer under me
      > which would make me even hotter? Does perethrin kill them on
      > contact or would they still have a chance to bite before they die?
      > I thought about some netting suspended just below the hammock but I
      > thought I would ask here first. Any help is welcome. Thanks.
      >
      > Brian

      Brian,

      First, stay away from DEET on nylon fabrics. The two are not a good
      combination, as the DEET weakens the fabric.

      This is not a problem with pyrethrin. And the good news is that the material is
      repellant to the bug before it even touches the material. I have had good
      results with clothing and also with hammocks treated with pyrethrin.

      I understand that pyrethrin on the skin is inactivated rather quickly - one
      reason it is not used as an insect repellant. I have never worked out how much
      the pyrethrin is inactivated by sweat from skin when the hammock is the only
      thing between me and the bug.

      I have only occasionally used a hammock in a mosquitoe area without a pad.
      Those few times (and my hammock was treated with pyrethrin) the mosquitoes did
      not give me a problem.

      Tom Hennessy, in the past, has maintained that his hammock material can not be
      penetrated by mosquitoes. This has not been my experience with single layer
      ripstop nylon hammocks in general.

      I look forward to your experiments and reporting your results. Many of us would
      like to know these answers from a more than anecdotal background.

      Risk
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic