6262Re: Hammock End

  • Mirage
    Jul 6, 2004
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Takeda <takeda@s...>
      > Mirage wrote:
      > >Doug, I have made two hammocks this way and here is what I found:
      > >1. The hammock sides do not hang "right" for camping purposes, too
      > >loose and floppy.
      > This is interesting. It is the opposite of my experience. The
      sides of my
      > hammocks are not floppy at all. In fact, because of the way the
      > curves, the sides are significantly tighter than the middle.

      I did not mean to imply the sides were "floppy", but not optimally
      tensioned for my preferences when using my home made under/over
      quilt (similar in function to Ed Speers PeaPod).

      I have several made with the "line-thru-the-hem" method, and like
      them very much. They are much more comfortable (to me)
      for "lounging" in. They also work OK with underquilts that do not
      wrap around the entire hammock.

      Just my personal observations and preferences.

      > >2. With the "line-thru-the-hem" method, the line is semi-
      > >attached. I don't like that. I like to have my lines/straps
      > >removable.
      > I guess I just don't understand what you're doing. My hem makes a
      > tube. I fit it to a piece of plastic tubing to prevent chafe
      between the
      > hanging line and the fabric, but even if I didn't, the line would
      > slip in and out. How are you fastening the line on that makes it
      > "semi-permanently attached?"

      I guess what I was trying to say was that the way I have done this,
      I end up with a bunch of hammock hem gathered at the end, with a
      rope running thru the hem. I usually then tie a knot or make a loop
      out of the ropejust big enough to tie another rope/strap to for
      hanging. This method ends up with a loop whose flat lenght
      (circumference) is less than the width of the hammock end. If I
      were to pull it out in the field, re-threading it would be a pain.

      I'm sure there are other ways of doing it that I've not tried or
      thought of that would be less troublesome to work with.

      Hike your own hike; Hang your own hammock ;)

      Shane "Mirage"...
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic