6261Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: ZHammock Page

    Jul 6, 2004
      Dave Womble wrote:

      >Rick,
      >
      >I was a little curious about the advantage of using whipped ends. I
      >think you mentioned before that you were not hemming the short ends
      >of the hammock when you used Ed's overhand knot but that you do hem
      >the short ends of the hammock when you use the whipped ends. You
      >still use less fabric with the whipped ends, but you have added cord
      >to the whipped ends. Seems to me the overhand knot is easier to make
      >and is known to be trouble free. Any idea of how much weight you are
      >saving using the whipped ends versus the overhand knot?
      >
      >Dave

      Dave,

      Weight saved in cloth is about an ounce. Actually 8/9 of 1.1 oz. The
      weight of the cords I used is about half of that - half an ounce.
      Almost all the weight savings could be retained by using a very light
      whipping of heavy fishing line. But weight savings is not the best
      reason to consider whipped ends.

      There is the savings of the cost and bulk of the cloth to consider. I
      bought almost a yard less of material and saved about $4 of material
      cost. When I fold my hammock up, there is a little less bulk to stuff
      into the stuff sack.

      The other advantage is mainly for experimenters like me. It is as easy
      as duck soup to take the whipping off and make a change in the hammock.
      Having untied the overhand knots in hammocks many times, I don't mind
      skipping the 15-30 minutes necessary to untie those nasty knots at all.
      Ray Garlington originally made the suggestion when he was experimenting
      with smooth curves in the end of the hammock with a goal of having
      better edge control. I have not tried those experiments, but can
      imagine how whipping the end of the hammock can make such a process
      much easier.

      I am considering adding a second whipping that incorporates the strap
      and the hammock - that will be purely for the vanity of making the joint
      look finished.

      However, at day's finish, whipping or tying the ends of the hammock is a
      flourish and not worth worrying about. For the addicted hammock
      builder, I suggest trying the whipping route as an experiment. I find
      the improvement modest, but real. Only a year's worth of experience
      will tell me if the whipped end is as durable as the Speer overhand knot.

      Risk
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic