6254Re: [Hammock Camping] Mosquito Hammock in Myakka

  • Jon Moneymaker
    Jul 6, 2004
      Hello all....
      have been a tent camper/hiker many years ago (30+), and in my later years (now 50)rediscovering hiking/camping .........AND having stumbled on the newer hammocks currently being manufactured....(until recently have not even considered anything other than a tent).
      From the various sites I have visited (SGT Rock: a great site, et al) the Hennessy seems to be the preferred hammock for craftsmanship, price and innovation.

      My question relates to the decision to buy one or make one.
      I have some sewing skills and the idea of making one is interesting, but aside from the speer hammock site/book (which I have not yet purchased) there seems to be a real lack of any patterns out there for making a hammock.

      While I realize they are not rocket science and since I don't have one to copy.....
      do any of you out there in hammock camping land have any suggestions?

      have any of you made your own?
      if so, how long did it take you? What would you do/have done differently?
      if so, what plans/pattern did you use?

      My initial (gut) feeling is just buy one and not worry about making one. Leave the design and experimentation to people who have the time and resources.

      Final question: the mosquito hammock mentioned in this thread, is it a decent option. It looks pretty nice and for what you get reasonably priced.

      thanks for letting me ramble, and any help.

      Jon

      David Chinell <dchinell@...> wrote:
      Gang:

      I took the Mosquito Hammock on an overnight to Myakka State Park last
      weekend, and it performed beautifully. It's quickly becoming a favorite
      model because it works in two distinct modes.

      I think of this as a "day and night" hammock.

      I hang the hammock as one might normally do, but I don't tie up the netting.
      During the day, I flip the netting side down, and use the hammock for
      lounging or as a chair or a shelf while I putter around camp.

      When evening (and the mosquito) comes, I flip the hammock back to nighttime
      mode, with the netting side up, and tie up the bungee lines to tension the
      netting.

      The manufacturer is now offering a long model -- nine feet long, rather than
      eight. The long model uses dark rather then light netting. It's body is
      camouflage colored. Evidently it was produced for the French Foreign Legion!

      If you're a hammock consumer, rather than a developer or maker, I think
      these are a great value. $60 for the regular one, and $70 for the long one.

      Bear

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/z1TolB/TM

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Do you Yahoo!?