6241Re: Hammock End

  • uluheman
    Jul 3, 2004
      I've made two line-through-the-hem hammocks. One is very wide (I pieced together two
      strips of sturdy nylon with a longitudinal seam along the middle of the hammock; the
      seam doesn't give as much as the surrounding fabric, but that hasn't been a major comfort
      problem) and the other is a bit narrow for my taste (I used a waste piece from a sailmaker;
      that purple piece is about 5 times as strong as 1.9 oz nylon, but the sailmaker still said he
      wouldn't trust it as a hammock; Ha!). The big one once held four people at once for
      lounging (!), and the smaller one easily holds two.

      I'm happy with the tension of the sides. I find that with any large hammock, success in
      getting comfortable, especially if sharing with one or more others, depends on finding just
      the right sweet spots for legs and feet and elbows and head, etc. There are an infinite
      number of arrangements, but for any given one, there will be a perfect way to place your
      limbs so that your head and shoulders are happy.

      My Hammock Bliss hammock is also made with the line-through-the-hem. I've put spectra
      line and tree-huggers on all of them.

      Brandon in Honolulu

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Takeda <takeda@s...> wrote:
      > Doug Campbell wrote:
      > >I'm curious, in hammock construction, why doesn't anyone here use the
      > >large hem on the ends with line threaded through it (kind of like the
      > >drawstring on a stuff sack)?
      >
      > I do. I just don't talk about it a lot.
      >
      > Mirage wrote:
      > >Doug, I have made two hammocks this way and here is what I found:
      > >1. The hammock sides do not hang "right" for camping purposes, too
      > >loose and floppy.
      >
      > This is interesting. It is the opposite of my experience. The sides of my
      > hammocks are not floppy at all. In fact, because of the way the line
      > curves, the sides are significantly tighter than the middle.
      >
      > >2. With the "line-thru-the-hem" method, the line is semi-perminately
      > >attached. I don't like that. I like to have my lines/straps easily
      > >removable.
      >
      > I guess I just don't understand what you're doing. My hem makes a fabric
      > tube. I fit it to a piece of plastic tubing to prevent chafe between the
      > hanging line and the fabric, but even if I didn't, the line would easily
      > slip in and out. How are you fastening the line on that makes it
      > "semi-permanently attached?"
      >
      > Matthew Takeda
      > the JOAT
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic