6240Re: Hammock End

  • Matthew Takeda
    Jul 2, 2004
      Doug Campbell wrote:
      >I'm curious, in hammock construction, why doesn't anyone here use the
      >large hem on the ends with line threaded through it (kind of like the
      >drawstring on a stuff sack)?

      I do. I just don't talk about it a lot.

      Mirage wrote:
      >Doug, I have made two hammocks this way and here is what I found:
      >1. The hammock sides do not hang "right" for camping purposes, too
      >loose and floppy.

      This is interesting. It is the opposite of my experience. The sides of my
      hammocks are not floppy at all. In fact, because of the way the line
      curves, the sides are significantly tighter than the middle.

      >2. With the "line-thru-the-hem" method, the line is semi-perminately
      >attached. I don't like that. I like to have my lines/straps easily
      >removable.

      I guess I just don't understand what you're doing. My hem makes a fabric
      tube. I fit it to a piece of plastic tubing to prevent chafe between the
      hanging line and the fabric, but even if I didn't, the line would easily
      slip in and out. How are you fastening the line on that makes it
      "semi-permanently attached?"

      Matthew Takeda
      the JOAT
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic