6236Re: Hammock End

  • Mirage
    Jul 1, 2004
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Doug Campbell
      <beentomadrid@y...> wrote:
      > I'm curious, in hammock construction, why doesn't anyone here use
      the large hem on the ends with line threaded through it (kind of
      like the drawstring on a stuff sack)?

      Doug, I have made two hammocks this way and here is what I found:
      1. The hammock sides do not hang "right" for camping purposes, too
      loose and floppy. I still like and use it for home lounging, but
      not for camping. The loose sides complicates the bug neeting and
      underquilt insulation. Just my experience and opinion though...
      2. With the "line-thru-the-hem" method, the line is semi-perminately
      attached. I don't like that. I like to have my lines/straps easily
      removable. I played with a small loop, that I then attached my hang
      lines to, and that worked better, but still, problem 1. above still
      rulled out its use.

      I recently started a hammock with this method, but instead of a
      straight hem on the end, I made it curved. I've not had time to
      complete it yet, but my hope is that it solved problem 1. above.

      Still, the whipped end will ultimately use less fabric and thread,
      so will be lighter, oz for oz, than a rolled hem with the line
      through it.

      > Also, I repaired on old cloth hammock by putting a rolled seam on
      the ends of the hammock bed, gathering it up by Ed Speer's method,
      and using a Jug Sling Hitch on each end to provide the "whipping."
      It also gave me a loop through which I attached my support rope. It
      worked very nicely. It would work great for Ralph's blue tarps!

      I'll have to they that, good idea.

      Shane "Mirage"...
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic