6232Re: [Hammock Camping] I've done it now.

  • Paul
    Jul 1, 2004
      I'm a backcountry off-trail hiker and long distance
      pond hopping Hornbeck canoe portager. Some of the
      places I go are pretty rough when it comes to finding
      a place to sleep. In the past I've many times
      frustratingly spent over an hour searching for any
      tiny reasonably flat spot to place my solo tent that
      was not either wet or covered with deadfall or full of
      upturned roots. Now that I'm hammocked instead of
      hummocked, all I need look for is 2 trees, what is
      beneath is of little concern. A pretty easy task here
      in the northeast.

      Hammocking has radically changed my perspective in
      campsite selection and increased my late afternoon
      exploration time considerably. Enough so that I can
      make it to that next pond late in the day without
      worry about finding a place to sleep.

      "Paddle" Paul

      --- heimlichfamily@... wrote:
      > I'm both a paddler and hiker and I found out about
      > HH hammocks from a pair of paddlers who swear by
      > them. I got one and use it on hiking and paddling
      > trips and car camping. My old bones should never
      > have slept on the ground, but who knew?
      >
      > I'm kind of a lurker on this list, but enjoy your
      > ingenuity and obvious urge to tinker.
      >
      > Ralph Heimlich

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic