5657Re: [Hammock Camping] storms

  • dlfrost_1
    May 11, 2004
      > Lightning, as always , is a very serious concern. I've had trouble
      > volunteers willing to test my hammocks in actual situations, so my
      advice is
      > still--avoid all lightning! Electrocution is not the only danger--
      there is
      > still a problem with falling trees or branches and potentially
      > schrapnel from a tree that explodes when hit by lightning. If
      you've ever
      > seen such a tree explode, you know you don't want to be anywhere
      around at
      > the time!

      Besides being electrocuted or fragged, the other danger is having
      your hearing damaged by sound concussion. (People have even had
      their ear drums blown out.) By the time you realize you're in the
      strike zone there's not much you can do. But you can clip off two
      small bits of packtowel to plug your ears. Or some tissue will do.

      Bear take-out bag, wilderness body bag... hammocks are so versatile!

      Doug Frost
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic