5635storms

  • shadesofblue33
    May 10, 2004
      I'm just curious, how do you handle storms/lightening. I know the
      basics of getting off an exposed ridge. How far off the ridge do you
      go to feel safe? If the storm happens in the middle of the night, do
      you abandon camp, or strike camp and move to a lower elevation. Do
      you take a weather radio? Do you set up each camp keeping a possible
      storm in mind. Last year I usually pushed for a shelter, but since
      I've begun hammock camping....I really try to avoid shelters. By the
      way Ed.....your advice on keeping warm worked. My AT trip in mid
      April was really wet, but I was warm. The hammock was great.
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic