5582RE: [Hammock Camping] QuiltedUnderquilt

  • firefly
    May 1, 2004

      OK, here’s an obvious question, which, since you all know how detail-averse I am…..you may have addressed and I missed…. Have any of you tried attaching big elastic bands across the bottom of the hammock? Across, as opposed to the lengthwise shock cord I use on my homemade space blanket insulator. I have my old TNF down sleeping bag, and am working up to cutting off the hood, toe box, and zipper. I just need to get myself mentally into a place where I am willing to chase down all over the living room…

      Fellow Hammock campers...

      With the recent questions from Rick in FL, it occurred to me again,
      that there is a reasonably easy way to test the idea of an underquilt
      that will  work for speer hammocks and hennessey hammocks and just
      about every hammock except the Clark...

      A 4x4 or 4x6 foot quilt, like a baby crib quilt or a Speer top quilt,
      made from down or other material can be easily quilted to the bottom
      surface of a hammock without damaging it, in a way that the insulation
      is held up right against the hammock...  It takes about an hour.

      - Lay the hammock out flat and pin the edges of the quilt to the
      bottom surface loosely, quite loosely, the idea is a pouch.
      - Attach the edges of the quilt to the hammock with individual
      quilting stitches about every 2-3 inches.  These should be not real
      loose, and not real tight.  Tied around a ruler would be just about
      right.  Use good quality thread, like Gutterman polyester. The knots
      (like a surgical knot) are tied with the cut ends and the knot on the
      outside of the hammock and quilt.
      - Lay out a gridwork of 6 inch squares on the quilt.  Add a quilting
      stitch at each corner of the squares.

      This will create something like the Warm Hammock, except that the
      hammock is not permanently affected and it can be adjusted easily.
      Also, the quilt could be removed for hot weather camping if desired.
      To remove, just cut the several dozen quilting stitches.

      I am out the door for a trip to Alaska for a week - business, not
      pleasure.  If anyone tries this little idea, let us know how it works.

      If I had a few more hours before the trip, I would try it myself.

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic