5573Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: LiteHammock is born

  • neptunebeach
    Apr 30, 2004
      So if the insulation has to be absolutely up against you, (sound of hand
      hitting forehead) the separate and removable underquilts will be fairly
      inefficient since they are difficult to suspend hard up against the bottom
      of the hammock. The only way to make an efficient insulated hammock is for
      the hammock to BE the lower part of the sleeping bag. How about attaching
      (sewing) a set of differential cut baffles directly to the weight-bearing
      surface of the hammock, with the second layer suspended below that and your
      favorite insulation material filling the void. I would think that would
      keep the insulation uniformly around you while using minimal extra material
      to provide the insulation effect. You would essentially have a built-in
      lower half of a sleeping bag as part of your hammock, as you did with your
      warm hammock, but using lighter weight materials and more complete coverage.
      The outermost material would have to be fairly wind resistant as well, like
      the top of a bivy .The top insulation layer should only require the top half
      of a sleeping bag, a quilt.

      I'm guessing you've already thought of all that. Thanks for the opportunity
      to catch up with you.

      Rick in FL