5564RE: [Hammock Camping] European stealth camping

  • firefly
    Apr 29, 2004

      Yahoo has some hiking groups based in England. One, which is very nice, is called “Fellwalking”. Also, except for the European component, lots of us have asked similar questions, and many answers can be found by checking our group archives. Plug the topic into the search engine. This will save you some time and make it easier for those here who would be delighted to help you.  The best resource of all, though, is Ed Speer’s book and website. Check out www.hammockcamping.com.   I have limited experience in England. They don’t do a lot of what they call “wild camping” because the pubs are too close together. Personally, I would not risk arrest in a foreign country, even a friendly one like England. You might check out youth hostels. I never thought I would stay in one, but they’re all over Europe, in some fine locations. They are often overrun with local schoolchildren in the summer, but that comes with the territory.

      I'm a newbie to this group but I belong to other cycling groups.
      I've been trying to get some answers to stealth camping questions.
      I'm considering an extended European bike trip and to broaden my
      resources (read money) I am considering some stealth camping on the
      way. No cooking and when it's miserable out or I need to wash up,
      I'll check into a B&B.
      I'm considering purchasing the Hennessey Explorer Ultralite A-Sym.
      Will water seep into the hammock if I don't use my dirty socks as
      drip lines on the straps as some suggest?
      How do I choose a good stealth sight? On an idyllic trip, I would
      find a sight in the late afternoon, take a nap, go into town for a
      meal and a couple of pints at the pub and roll back just after
      closing. Is this a day dream?
      Are there other alternatives to slinging between two trees?
      seen the pictures and I don't have two elephants or two Land
      So I'm looking for advice from those of you with European stealth
      experience. Tell me stories, warn me what to look out for.

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic