5533Re: 7th SEHHA Campout--Hot Springs, NC Jun 12, 2004

  • Coy
    Apr 27, 2004
      Wooo Hooo I just looked and I'm off that weekend. And I love
      bluegrass. I hope to bring the entire family this time. I will try
      to get some hammock stands built. at least 4. If I get ambitious
      enough I might build a few more to bring along and share. Tell
      Karen to make extra cole slaw! I'm sure you wont mind if I bring
      something for the cookout. Bringing Cody is bad enough (he eats
      enough for 3 right now) and I want to contribute just a little. I
      will probably plan to hike and camp Fri night and spend Sat night at
      the campout. Thanks for plannng this Ed (and Karen).

      Coy Boy

      > It's time for our next southeast hammock hangers campout! Here's
      the
      > details:
      >
      > 7th SHHA Campout
      > Hot Springs Campground
      > Hot Springs, NC
      > Saturday June 12, 2004
      >
      > Join us for the 7th SHHA (Southeast Hammock Hangers Association)
      > campout on Saturday, June 12, 2004. It's FREE! (except for your
      > camping fee). This is an informal group event and everyone is
      welcome-
      > -veteran, novice or future hammockers. See, learn and share your
      > knowledge with other hammock enthusiasts. This will be an easy
      > overnight campout at a commercial campground in a beautiful
      mountain
      > river setting near the Appalachian Trail in western North
      Carolina!
      > Join me, Ed Speer, author of the Hammock Camping book and editor
      of
      > the Hammock Camping Newsletters for a fun mid-summer campout.
      > Previous trips were well attended and this is another chance for
      > hammockers to show their stuff, share ideas, learn from others,
      and
      > be a part of the 'new way'. Meet old friends and make new ones!
      > Check out the newest hammock gear!
      >
      > An added bonus this time is the annual Bluff Mountain Bluegrass
      > Festival! http://main.nc.us/bluff/ The festival is being held the
      > same weekend on the grounds of the Hot Springs Campground--how
      neat
      > is that! A hammock campout and bluegrass festival all in one!
      Sleep
      > like a baby outdoors and listen to live bluegrass music from your
      > hammock! It doesn't get any better, so don't miss this one!
      >
      > We will camp in the popular Hot Springs Campground approximately
      45
      > minute drive northwest of Asheville, NC or 1.5 hours east of
      > Knoxville, TN. The campground is located on the east side of the
      > town of Hot Springs on Highway US 25/70 directly across from the
      Hot
      > Springs Resort and Hot Tubs. The campground is situated on the
      > French Broad River and our campsite (#413) is on the rivers' west
      > bank. Road access to the campground is from Asheville, NC or
      > Newport, TN on US 25/US 70. A few trees are available, but bring
      > hammock stands if you have them--we will also provide stands
      (contact
      > us to reserve one). Everyone will be responsible for his or her
      own
      > transportation, gear, behavior, and camping fees ($5/person).
      >
      > Show up anytime and leave anytime, but don't miss our free
      Saturday
      > evening hot dog cookout! Following her popular feast at the last
      > Hammock Hangers campout, Karen has offered to repeat it again--
      it's
      > not to be missed! Otherwise, everyone will be responsible for his
      or
      > her own meals.
      >
      > Upon arrival, check in at the campground office and pay the
      camping
      > fee. Karen and I will be at the campsite Friday afternoon thru
      mid-
      > day Sunday, so arrive anytime after 2 pm Friday. Folding lounge
      > chairs might be appropriate for the festival, so bring your own.
      The
      > Hot Springs area abounds with outdoor opportunities like hiking,
      > canoeing, kayaking, fishing, mountain biking, etc--you can easily
      > combine the hammock campout with an outdoor trip. The Appalachian
      > Trail passes thru town and only a few hundred feet from our
      > campsite. The French Broad River adjacent to our campsite is a
      > popular fishing and floating stream.
      >
      > Find complete campground details at:
      >
      > http://www.hotspringsspa-nc.com/campground/campground.html
      >
      > Find driving directions at: http://www.hotspringsspa-
      > nc.com/map/map.html
      >
      > Mid-summer temperatures at this elevation can fluctuate wildly, so
      > expect daytime temps of 50-80F and nighttime temps of 40-60F.
      Rain
      > is possible so be prepared.
      >
      > Signing up is not necessary, but letting us know will be
      appreciated--
      > ed@s... or call (828) 724-4444
      >
      > Everyone Welcome! See ya at Hot Springs!
      > …..Ed "Not To Worry" Speer
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic