55267th SEHHA Campout--Hot Springs, NC Jun 12, 2004

    Apr 27, 2004
      It's time for our next southeast hammock hangers campout! Here's the

      7th SHHA Campout
      Hot Springs Campground
      Hot Springs, NC
      Saturday June 12, 2004

      Join us for the 7th SHHA (Southeast Hammock Hangers Association)
      campout on Saturday, June 12, 2004. It's FREE! (except for your
      camping fee). This is an informal group event and everyone is welcome-
      -veteran, novice or future hammockers. See, learn and share your
      knowledge with other hammock enthusiasts. This will be an easy
      overnight campout at a commercial campground in a beautiful mountain
      river setting near the Appalachian Trail in western North Carolina!
      Join me, Ed Speer, author of the Hammock Camping book and editor of
      the Hammock Camping Newsletters for a fun mid-summer campout.
      Previous trips were well attended and this is another chance for
      hammockers to show their stuff, share ideas, learn from others, and
      be a part of the 'new way'. Meet old friends and make new ones!
      Check out the newest hammock gear!

      An added bonus this time is the annual Bluff Mountain Bluegrass
      Festival! http://main.nc.us/bluff/ The festival is being held the
      same weekend on the grounds of the Hot Springs Campground--how neat
      is that! A hammock campout and bluegrass festival all in one! Sleep
      like a baby outdoors and listen to live bluegrass music from your
      hammock! It doesn't get any better, so don't miss this one!

      We will camp in the popular Hot Springs Campground approximately 45
      minute drive northwest of Asheville, NC or 1.5 hours east of
      Knoxville, TN. The campground is located on the east side of the
      town of Hot Springs on Highway US 25/70 directly across from the Hot
      Springs Resort and Hot Tubs. The campground is situated on the
      French Broad River and our campsite (#413) is on the rivers' west
      bank. Road access to the campground is from Asheville, NC or
      Newport, TN on US 25/US 70. A few trees are available, but bring
      hammock stands if you have them--we will also provide stands (contact
      us to reserve one). Everyone will be responsible for his or her own
      transportation, gear, behavior, and camping fees ($5/person).

      Show up anytime and leave anytime, but don't miss our free Saturday
      evening hot dog cookout! Following her popular feast at the last
      Hammock Hangers campout, Karen has offered to repeat it again--it's
      not to be missed! Otherwise, everyone will be responsible for his or
      her own meals.

      Upon arrival, check in at the campground office and pay the camping
      fee. Karen and I will be at the campsite Friday afternoon thru mid-
      day Sunday, so arrive anytime after 2 pm Friday. Folding lounge
      chairs might be appropriate for the festival, so bring your own. The
      Hot Springs area abounds with outdoor opportunities like hiking,
      canoeing, kayaking, fishing, mountain biking, etc--you can easily
      combine the hammock campout with an outdoor trip. The Appalachian
      Trail passes thru town and only a few hundred feet from our
      campsite. The French Broad River adjacent to our campsite is a
      popular fishing and floating stream.

      Find complete campground details at:

      Find driving directions at: http://www.hotspringsspa-

      Mid-summer temperatures at this elevation can fluctuate wildly, so
      expect daytime temps of 50-80F and nighttime temps of 40-60F. Rain
      is possible so be prepared.

      Signing up is not necessary, but letting us know will be appreciated--
      ed@... or call (828) 724-4444

      Everyone Welcome! See ya at Hot Springs!
      …..Ed "Not To Worry" Speer
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic