5314Re: First time (be gentle) Trip report

  • Coy
    Apr 4, 2004
      the pad straps Paul made were sewn to the pad (homemade
      reflectic/fleece pad. He tied some strong string up near the head
      end of the hammock and attached some clips to the end of the
      strings. they formed a y shape where they went down to his pad. He
      (Paul) had some pics but I'm not sure where they are located. You
      could make a webing pull strap in similar fashion and just tie it to
      the head end (reach up as far on the exposed overhaed ridge line as
      you can). Let it come down about a foot from the end where you
      could just reach it and pull, but keeping the pad from slipping down
      might work just as well... that along with lowering the head end
      just a couple of inches should solve everything. An underquilt or
      peapod combined with a light top blanket should eliminate the pad
      altogether though so I would put my money and energy in that
      direction. that said I use the target pad for now myself. 2 in
      winter in fact. my pads dont slip all that much but get anoying
      rools/ridgees which isnt near as comfortable as the hammock sans a
      pad.

      Coy Boy

      <polecatpop@y...> wrote:
      > No, I'm trying to slide / scoot up towards the head end of the
      > hammock while laying horizontal. Trying to maneuver the pad in the
      > hammock. Then my bag on the pad. Then me in my bag. Took a lot of
      > work and energy. Side to side shifting was as challenging. But
      > everyone on this list says it is worth it. I'll keep practicing.
      >
      > I'm hesitant to make any permanant altereations to the HH just
      yet.
      > I'll start thinking about what to connect the Paul straps to.
      >
      > Ralph
      >

      > > to help set up (raise up) I'm guessing. I have sucessfully
      grabed
      > > the ridge line to assist in setting up but really just poking my
      > > feet out the exit slit seems to pendilum me up.. sort of.
      > >
      > > Coy Boy
      > > PS Paul, on the list, sowed some straps on his pad which he ties
      > off
      > > to the head end of the hammock to keep it from sliding down. He
      > > stays on the pad and the pad dont slip. I dont know if he has
      > made
      > > any similar contraption for his new D.A.M air mattress. Paul?
      > >
      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Oborn"
      > > <polecatpop@y...> wrote:
      > > > No I jest need to stay a couple of extension cord lengths of
      > > home. :]
      > > > Any ideas on installing an internal pull rope in an HH?
      > > >
      > > > Ralph
      > > >
      > > > --- I like the heat pad idea. a generator only weighs

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic