5040Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock Bivy

  • SF Nazdarovye
    Mar 23, 2004
      I set up my Ultralight Backpacker A-Sym the same way on this trip, with
      the added twist of using the single hanging rope to set up a "tripod"
      with the hiking pole. I did this by putting two stakes about a foot and
      a half to either side of the pole and out from it a bit, then looping
      the hammock rope around the pole, running it down to one stake, across
      the ground to the second stake, then back up to the pole, where I tied
      it off. Seemed to work as well as using additional rope, which I didn't
      have.

      I took some pictures, but the camera lens was fogged and they didn't
      turn out well enough to post. If my explanation wasn't clear, let me
      know and I'll try to clarify. Meanwhile, backpkrmn got a picture of me
      in the hammock/bivy:

      http://community.webshots.com/photo/127521418/127540733ZHBtmp

      And I'm standing next to it here at left in this picture (Rebecca is
      pitching hers at right; the other two bystanders are poking fun at our
      shelter choice ;)

      http://community.webshots.com/photo/127521418/127538006QVDgkf

      It was not the most comfortable shelter, but it worked. I would have
      rather had the Explorer model for this, as it has a bit more room.

      - Steve