      From: "firefly" <firefly@...>
      Subject: GettingParkOfficialstoallowHammocks

      I have been meaning to respond to this for awhile. Last week, in the USFS
      campground, I made it a point to be very friendly to the campground host
      when I arrived. I showed him my HH as I was putting it up, before he had a
      chance to ask about it. I showed him how the straps don't hurt the trees,
      and that I am not nailing anything into the trees, etc. It takes a little
      extra effort to go to this much trouble, but it is better than having him
      assume the worst later and telling you to take down your hammock.

      Last year I was on a multi day sea kayak paddle down a Louisiana bayou, with
      a large group. I had the only hammock. We stopped at a National Park
      cultural center in the middle of a Cajun town and camped out there. Before I
      set up my hammock, I found the ranger in charge, showed it to her, explained
      the features, then asked permission to hang it. She had never seen one
      before. She said YES, of course, and also thanked me for asking her first.
      The next person that shows up there with a hammock will have smooth sailing.
      It's just an educational process. It took me a total of 5 minutes for each
      conversation.
      Marsanne
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic