4656Edisto Beach State Park, SC

    Feb 17, 2004
      I know everyone is deeply involved in how to stay warm in winter
      hammock camping right now, but I thought you might like to hear the
      following more-Tropical story. This weekend, Karen and I set up our
      Speer Hammocks between palm trees on a sandy beach on the coast of
      South Carolina! We listened to the awesome pounding surf all night--
      at high tide it was only 200 feet from our hammocks! Although cool,
      rainly and windy, our camp was a welcome reprieve from the brutal
      cold in the mountains and the continuous sound of the surf made for
      fine sleeping. We were at Edisto Beach State Park in SC--yes they do
      have palm trees on the beach and they allow hammocks! While our
      campsite was behind the beach dunes and in the midst of the
      campground, the palm trees were perfect and the bath house and ocean
      were only 10 seconds away! This state park is very popular because
      of the beach camping and reservations are almost always required--
      during the summer, even reservations are hard to get (not all
      campsites have suitable palm trees--ask the reservations clerk). But
      it's well worth the effort and drive if you get the chance. We
      returned home to western NC on Sunday to heavily falling snow!

      This link gives info on Edisto State Park:
      http://www.discoversouthcarolina.com/stateparks/parkdetail.asp?
      PID=1298

      ...Ed
      Moderator, Hammock Camping List