4606Re: Condensation

  • Risk
    Feb 9, 2004
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jlevans7"
      <jackiethehiker@b...> wrote:
      > Good afternoon,
      > I currently use a couple of overlaping blue, closed cell foam pads as
      > insulation for my HH. I use this during the spring and fall. I
      > notice there is usually some condensation on the pads resulting in
      > dampness on the bottom of my sleeping bag in the mornings. Any
      > thoughts on prevention of this condensation?
      >
      > Jackie

      Hi Jackie,

      The closed cell pad is a vapor barrier, so what ever is between me and
      it will get a little moist. What I do is wear clothing that easily
      wicks the moisture and does not feel very wet. I use a coolmax tee
      and nylon shorts. If necessary, I wear a thin fleece pullover and
      pants (or polypropyline long johns).

      I open the bag except for the last couple feet, to use it like a
      quilt, or (better) use a quilt I built. This puts me against the pad
      so the bag's insulation is all doing the job I want it to do. It
      keeps me warm instead of getting wet from my perspiration.

      Perhaps some of these ideas will allow you to experiment on your own
      and find a solution that works well for you.