4605Re: Condensation

    Feb 9, 2004
      Jackie,

      My opinion is that your closed cell foam pads act as a vapor
      barrier. Since you are most likely staying in pretty much one
      position all night, it doesn't give your insensible perspiration a
      chance to evaporate like it does when you toss & turn when sleeping
      on the ground. My advice is to try controlling your perspiration.
      One way is to incorporate some wicking fabric against the pads
      (sleeve or wrap). Another way is to try sleeping in different
      positions during the night (back & side). Another way is to wear
      vapor barrier clothing (rain gear). Another approach is to use a
      closed cell foam pad with open cells for the top pad (Zrest,
      Ridgerest, egg crate) and hope the condensation that collects in the
      open cells doesn't wet your bag.

      I suspect that there are many other possible solutions, this web site
      http://chattanooga.net/~cdp/hammock/hammock.htm describes a homemade
      hammock that has sewn-in breathable synthetic insulation in addition
      to a closed cell foam pad (that was in a sleeve). He was still
      getting condensation so he cut many tiny holes in the closed cell
      foam to make it breathable. I don't know if the tiny hole approach
      would work with stacked pads, but it is an idea worth knowing about.

      Youngblood

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jlevans7"
      <jackiethehiker@b...> wrote:
      > Good afternoon,
      > I currently use a couple of overlaping blue, closed cell foam pads
      as
      > insulation for my HH. I use this during the spring and fall. I
      > notice there is usually some condensation on the pads resulting in
      > dampness on the bottom of my sleeping bag in the mornings. Any
      > thoughts on prevention of this condensation?
      >
      > Jackie
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic