      From: tcoug7 <tcoug7@...> [mailto:tcoug7@...]
      Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2003 2:23 PM
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Hammock Camping Methods of securing hammocks to trees

      Hi all....

      I know there are several methods out there being employed to secure
      your hammocks to trees.  I use a Hennessey, and with it comes 'tree
      huggers', which are nylon straps that are wrapped around the tree to
      protect the trees bark.  The hammock is attached to the tree huggers
      by passing the line from the hammock through the loops on the ends of
      the huggers.  It is finished off with a kind of loose figure 8 and
      two half-hitches.  I know a lot of people include quick releases and
      so forth, but I'll tell you my problem:  Two weekends ago, I was
      trying to set up my hammock w/ temp in single digits (that's as close
      as I trust my little thermometer).  My hands were freezing, since I
      had been fairly stationary for several hours.  Well, to tie the
      knots, I HAVE to take my gloves off, which of course led to really
      cold and stiff hands, which of course led to decrease in dexterity,
      and in the end, a hell of a time getting my knots tied.

      So, I am looking into alternatives.  I have some ideas regarding
      caribiners.  I am also entertaining the use of a truckers hitch as a
      way of providing a quick solution to not only securing but also
      tightening the hammock line.  It would also be very quick to undo for
      readjustments.  I have read here that Ed came up with a different
      approach w/ his hammocks - Ed, a pic would really help here if
      possible.

      Any thoughts, ideas, etc welcome.

      Thanks...Tim