4544Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Personal cold record!

    Feb 1, 2004
      Ray Garlington wrote:
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Risk" <ra1@i...> wrote:

      Another saga of the cold:

      Rick laughs at the cold!!!

      was minus 10F the coldest temp for that night?  Sounds like your gear
      performed beautifully.  one question:  your overlap pad is the "T"
      shaped pad right?  You said it overlapped the length of the hammock
      by about a foot.  could you explain this part a little more.
      Thanks & congratulations,
      Ray

      Hi Ray,

      I took a standard Target Pad, 27x72 in and cut it into two pieces that are 27x36 in.

      For a standard hammock with no attached insulation, I usually overlap those two pieces side by side, overlapped about 12 inches so it is a pad which is 40 in wide, 36 in long, and double thick in the middle.  This works very well in double bottomed hammocks.

      For the really cold weather, I used the WarmHammock and I put the two pads in so they overlapped about a foot right under my bottom.  It ended up being a pad about 5 feet long and thicker for the center foot.

      As for temperature, it was -9 for about 4 hours of the night, but the weather service recorded a -10 at O-dark-thirty which was a record low for Dayton for the date.